12/22/08

C55 AMG Review

 

The belly of the beast:: a 5.5.-liter, AMG-fettled, 362hp V8 that looks a bit like Battlestar Gallactica.   I swear I had no intention of performing a drifting demonstration outside my step-daughter's school gates. In a prior attempt to gain a little mid-corner throttle control, I'd switched off the computerized handling Nanny. And then forgot all about it. So when I attempted to merge with the after-camp traffic, I suddenly found myself laying down a good 20 feet of rubber, in a decidedly sideways fashion.

Needless to say, that was not an example of driving in the traditional Mercedes manner. One wafts in one's Merc. But let's face facts: the C-Class appeals to a younger, thrustier demographic. Turning a plain Jane C into a demented German hot rod can't piss away the model's air of emotionally reserved exclusivity-- it never had any in the first place. So it's damn the brand, full speed ahead!

 

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008